Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Hoppin’ Party: The Meal

 

When it comes to first birthday parties, since your little one isn’t likely to have a bunch of cronies yet, it’s likely the guest list will be made up with mostly family and close friends.  By the time I added up everyone who absolutely had to be invited, it was already going to be a big guest list, so why not add a few more people who love our son?  We had invited about 60 people in the end.  We also decided that an evening party would be best for several reasons.  This worked out great because some family wouldn’t have been able to come to an earlier party.  Since we were having an evening party, we decided to serve a full meal. 

We kept the menu simple: salad, two kinds of pasta and bread.  My Mother-In-Law took care of the salad and bread.  My Sister-In-Law, Leigh, made the spaghetti sauce which I used to make Baked Spaghetti.  Basically, I just mixed the cooked spaghetti and sauce in a pan and added a few cups of shredded mozzarella to the top before covering with foil and adding to a warm oven.  I used the Hefty EZ Foil Party Pans Giant Size (19 1/2 in x 11 1/2 in).  They fit over the steam tables we used.  I was able to fit four 1 pound boxes of thin spaghetti plus sauce and cheese into the one pan. 

103_2221

The other pan held 3 batches of Chicken “Fettuccini” Alfedeaux.  This is alfredo for people who don’t like alfredo. Trust me, I live with one of these people.  My husband WILL NOT eat fettuccini alfredo, but he loves this!  I think the secret to this dish’s success is that the cream sauce is not thick and overpowering as you will usually find alfredo sauce to be. 

And if you’re wondering about the spelling of Alfredeaux, that is because the chicken is seasoned with Cajun spices.  I only seasoned the chicken so that it wouldn’t be too spicy, but it is really good with a little dash over the top of the pasta too.

103_2215

I lost count of how many requests I had for this recipe; it really is that good!  But I can’t take credit for it as I once requested this recipe from our friend Keith.  Thank you so much Keith, I am so grateful!

103_2310

Chicken “Fettuccini” Alfredeaux

6-8 servings
1-12 oz. package of wide egg noodles
1 package of Knorr White Sauce or Alfredo Sauce Mix
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 large boneless chicken breasts
Cajun spice mix to taste
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 stick butter
1 pint heavy cream (although half and half works too)

Prepare noodles according to the package directions, drain and set aside.

Bake or grill the chicken seasoned with the Cajun spices.  Cut up or tear the chicken into small pieces.

Melt the butter in a large pot.  Add the packet of sauce mix and stir.  Add the cream.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for four minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat: add the cheese and garlic and mix well. 

Mix well and pour over the pasta.  Toss the pasta well until the sauce is distributed throughout.  Finally, add the chicken and stir into the pasta.

Serve warm and with a dash of Cajun spices over the top.

Click here for the Printable Recipe at Tasty Kitchen.

Linked to Suzy’s Artsy Craftsy Sitcom and Today’s Creative Blog.

No comments: