Saturday, April 17, 2010

Nana's Buttery Cinnamon Skillet Apples

 



We've been going through apples like crazy at my house. In fact, Sophie is quite the fanatic to the point that she's almost insane about them. "Apples! Apples! Hehehehe, apples!" That's what I hear when she sets her mind to apples.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to keep up with our produce as well as I would like. In fact, this morning I noticed a few apples that were close to going bad, *gasp!* I decided this would be a good time to try my hand at one of Nana's signature dishes, Skillet Apples. I guess Nana has made these all my life; they are included in my childhood memories. These apples are very easy to make and nice and sweet. If you don't have a great sweet tooth, you'll want to use some nice tart apples as well.

Nana's Buttery Cinnamon Skillet Apples

Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 medium cooking apples; unpeeled, cored and sliced into thick wedges, (about 8 slices each)

Directions:
In a 10 inch skillet, melt butter or margarine over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in sugar and cornstarch; mix well. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat, spooning sauce over apples occasionally until apples are fork-tender and sauce is thickened.

Click here for the printable recipe at Tasty Kitchen.

YUM!

1 comment:

EHisCDN said...

Those look delicious (too bad I don't like cinnamon, although I'm sure I could substitute with nutmeg, or something else or even just skip it all together.)

When I realize that I have a lot of apples that are about to spoil I usually just make apple sauce. It's a family favourite and really good to have if you're serving pork. Way better than the canned stuff which is basically a puree with a lot of extra sugar.