Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Corny Story

Yesterday was my birthday, which reminded me of a way my family sometimes celebrates special occasions. Allow me to tell you a story...

Once upon a time it was Mother's Day. My Dad came to my Mom and admitted that he had forgotten Mother's Day and didn't have a gift for her. She said, "Well, can you at least take me out to lunch?" My Dad replied, "I don't really have the money right now." So Mom said, "Well, can you at least make me lunch?" Which my Dad did. He opened a can of corn. Yeah, that was it. And yeah, she hasn't let him live it down.

Now our family has a tradition. If you really want to celebrate, you better serve corn! Which brings me to today's recipe. I promise, you're gonna want to make this for dinner. This recipe comes from Paula Deen's book, The Lady and Sons, Too!

Corn Casserole
serves 6-8
One 15 1/4-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
One 14 3/4-ounce cream-style corn
One 8-ounce package Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
In a large bowl, stir together the two cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and butter. Pour into a greased casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown.
Here is the before picture…
And the after...
 
Trust me, make this for dinner tonight! 'Cause we're still celebrating my birthday, and we can't do that without corn.

3 comments:

~Telah said...

Cute story! I love corn so I'll have to give this recipe a try!

Lesa said...

This looks great. I love corn and cornbread, so I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks for posting!

http://edesiasnotebook.blogspot.com

KathyinFL said...

This is my son's favorite side dish! He loves Paula and her recipes and with him being 14 thats saying something.